Reviews, Top Tens, and more! Posts every Monday and Friday at 8:00 AM PST. Follow me on my social medias for updates and other random nonsense.

Friday, February 5, 2016

Anime Hajime Review: Inferno Cop

***Warning, the following may contain spoilers for Inferno Cop. Reader discretion is advised.***

Series Synopsis


The city of Jack Knife Edge Town has gone to complete s@#$. Criminals, thugs, marauders, and general ne’er-do-wells rule the streets; raping and pillaging wherever they see fit. Everything has become a lawless wasteland of violence and fire with a complete disregard for public safety. Is there anyone willing to stand up for all that is just?

Only one and his name is…INFERNO COP (voiced by Junichi Goto)!

Spawning from the very depths of hell, Inferno Cop, with his flaming skull of righteous flames is on a mission of revenge. The evil organization known as the Southern Cross murdered his family and they seek to bring the entire world under their control. They always seem to have the upper hand, but nipping at their heels is the ever tenacious Inferno Cop.

With his trademark brand of ruthless justice involving explosions and bullets, Inferno Cop takes no prisoners. He is a nonstop force of action -- logic be damned.

At breakneck speeds, Inferno Cop must face all that is epic and silly like a champion. At any moment, he can be fighting the spawn baby of the Southern Cross to battling the zombie apocalypse after a single reload. With ancient pharaohs to dethrone, Gods to conquer, and all kinds of ass to kick, this job would be impossible for mortal men. However, this is no man. This is…

INFERNO COP!

Series Positives


When I learned that this was going to be a short form anime, because how the hell could it not be, I almost skipped it. Whether I like them or hate them, short-form series are always a pain in the ass to review. Then on a whim, I decided to look up who were the people behind this show. As it turns out, the studio that produced Inferno Cop, Trigger, also produced a little show known as Kill la Kill. Needless to say, after learning that piece of trivia I felt compelled to give this series a try.

I know at least my American readers would know what Adult Swim is, but for those who might not, it’s a late night television block made up of shows that thrive on crazy and bizarre humor. Inferno Cop would be right at home.

I bring this up because Adult Swim was my entire high school and college, so this show brought back a lot of nostalgic love for all that is insane and weird. I absolutely loved this series.

Style

It didn’t stop.

I know three minutes is already not that long for an episode, but when nothing slows down this series feels like seconds. To make this work, a show needs to disregard any sense of reason.

Inferno Cop understood this concept.

You never know where this type of humor is going and that is why I love it. There are no patterns, no formulas, no set things that need to get done. Whatever comes next, comes next, and you just have to accept it.

Why did Inferno Cop turn into a racecar and travel through time? It doesn’t matter because it happened, and on to the next thing.

To go along with the show’s pacing was its art style. Usually, the simpler, the better and you don’t get much simpler than Inferno Cop. The series used cutouts for its characters and their mouths didn’t even move. Granted, “simple” is a loaded word since animation is complicated, lip movements or no.

In the end, though, if you have the right pacing and the right visual style, you have a series that is out to have fun and Inferno Cop certainly achieved that.

Series Negatives


I said the same thing for Double J and Miritari, and Miritari was only two reviews ago, but you have to like this kind of humor.

However, unlike Double J and Miritari, this is perhaps truer with Inferno Cop. At least some of the other short-form anime I have watched had some semblance of logical progression, or at least you could figure out how one event led to the next. This show didn’t have any of that. It completely relied on stupid humor.

That reliance simply doesn’t work for some, and that’s entirely reasonable. 

If after reading this review the only thing you can think is how stupid Inferno Cop sounds, you’re right, and you’ll probably despise this show.


Final Thoughts


Very unintentionally, Inferno Cop triggered my nostalgia. Because of that, I ended up liking this show.

Everything was fast-paced, the animation was perfect for what it wanted to do, and it was totally insane. I loved every minute of it. I absolutely recommend this series, if and only if you are a fan of this style of comedy. However, even if you are not, I still urge you to give it a shot.

But these are just my thoughts. What are yours? Have you seen this show? How would you advise Inferno Cop? Leave a comment down below because I would love to hear what you have to say.

And if you liked what you read, be sure to follow me on my social media sites so that you never miss a post or update. Also, please share this review across the internet to help add to the discussion.

I’m LofZOdyssey, and I’ll see you next time.

               Google+                        Facebook                         Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment