Reviews, Top Tens, and more! Posts every Monday and Friday at 8:00 AM PST. Follow me on my social medias for updates and other random nonsense.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Out and About: Eigakan - Dragon Ball Super: Broly

***Warning, the following may contain spoilers for Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Reader discretion is advised.***

 As a reminder: This is NOT A REVIEW. Films and other posts under the Out and About: Eigakan label are watched in Japanese with NO English subtitles. Therefore, misinterpretations and misunderstandings are possible. With that said:

I just got out of Dragon Ball Super: Broly.

Before I say any of my thoughts, I need to come clean.

Although I’ve been a huge fan of the Dragon Ball series ever since Toonami’s heyday on Cartoon Network, I haven’t yet watched a single episode of Dragon Ball Super. Also, even though I am familiar with the character of Broly, I have not seen any of the three films which bare his name – Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan, Dragon Ball Z: Broly - Second Coming, and Dragon Ball Z: Bio-Broly.

When walking into the theatre, I knew I would have a bit of a handicap. Nevertheless, I wasn’t too worried because:
  1. This was Dragon Ball. How hard could it be to figure out?
  2. The aspects I do know about Broly's character are as follows: He’s big, he’s strong, and he’s a massive problem.
Plus, from what I understand, Dragon Ball Super: Broly was intended to be a revamping of its titular character. So basically, why not just give this one a try and see what happens?

Please remember, this is not my official review of the film, but from what I could catch: I liked it. I liked it a lot.

As for a brief synopsis:

About 40 years before the start of the Dragon Ball story we know, actual bratty-kid version of Lord Freeza was – like adult bratty-kid version of Lord Freeza – a massive prick. Angered by the constant humiliation of him and his people, the ruler of the Saiyans, King Vegeta of Planet Vegeta, found hope in his newborn son Vegeta – are you still with me?

Insisting he and his gene pool are the strongest of the entire Saiyan race, King Vegeta got a little uppity when some low-born child was getting the same treatment as the Prince of All Saiyans.

However, this commoner baby, named Broly, had an unmeasurable power level lurking inside him. It was theorized that Broly had the potential to become the legendary Super Saiyan. King Vegeta – who wasn’t having any of that – banished the young boy to a desolate planet. Due to this, Broly was able to survive the day when Lord Freeza eradicated nearly the entire Saiyan race by destroying Planet Vegeta.

Our tale then jumps to contemporary day Earth where the mighty Saiyan hero Goku is enjoying his peaceful life with his family and friends.

Unfortunately, out in Space, Lord Freeza was looking for a way to finally kill Goku (because, you know, Goku did the whole making-Freeza-his-bitch thing). That was when Freeza heard there was another Saiyan warrior – Broly – with immense power who might be more than Goku could handle.
Broly is brought to Earth, and then he and Goku fight.

In a nutshell, that was Dragon Ball Super: Broly, and the first half of this movie was exclusively backstory and build up.

Although I have not seen the original Broly trilogy, even I could tell this movie had made a few changes. Since I don’t know what came before, I have no idea if these alterations were for the better, and yet, I know they happened because this film went so far as to slightly retell the story I grew up with. Be that as it may, given how these changes were fitting within this particular narrative, I honestly couldn’t care less that they happened.

Incidentally, if I am not mistaken, the arrival of the Dragon Ball Super storyline (the fourth Dragon Ball anime) appears to have written out the events of the third Dragon Ball anime, Dragon Ball GT. I don’t dislike GT, but I won’t be losing much sleep over its complete irrelevance either.

In the first half of Dragon Ball Super: Broly, there wasn’t much fighting or excitement. Speaking for myself, I got a sickening feeling that maybe this film would end up being slightly lackluster. Boy was I wrong.

The second half of this film began when Goku, Prince Vegeta, and Broly met, and holy s@!#. The rest of this movie was just a single giant fight, and it was one of the best Dragon Ball fights I’ve ever seen. My god, this was so much fun. It was like I was a kid again.

Believe it or not, this was the first Dragon Ball movie I’ve watched in theaters, and it was an absolute blast. The action, the soundtrack, the visuals (granted, there were a ton of piss-poor CGI moments), everything came together when they needed to. I’m confident me liking this movie will hold out when I eventually review it for real.

But you know what? I could be wrong. We will just have to wait and see.

Thank you all so much for reading. Please comment down below if you have anything to say – positive or negative – about this post. Also, if you have seen the film, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Be sure to follow me here and on all my social media sites so that you don’t miss when I post my official Anime Eiga Review: Dragon Ball Super - Broly.

I’m LofZOdyssey, and I will see you next time.


               Google+                        Facebook                        Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment