Reviews, Top Tens, and more! Posts every Monday and Friday at 8:00 AM PST. Follow me on my social medias for updates and other random nonsense.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Anime Eiga Review: Kimi no Na wa

***Warning, the following may contain spoilers for Kimi no Na wa. Reader discretion is advised.***

Film Synopsis


Imagine if one day you find yourself in a place you don’t recognize. Adding to that, imagine you’re not even in your own body. No one would blame for freaking out. Yet unbeknownst to you, this is just fate working in mysterious ways.

Such is the case for two teenagers.

Taki Tachibana (voiced by Ryunosuke Kamiki) is a big city boy from Tokyo. Mitsuha Miyamizu (voiced by Mone Kamishiraishi) is a small town girl from the Japanese countryside. One day, for no discernable reason, they begin waking up in each other’s bodies.

Thrown into worlds they're unfamiliar with, Taki and Mitsuha make the most of their situation. Frustrating as it may be. Yet in their attempts to not screw over the other’s life, they began to understand one another. With each switch, the two become closer and closer.

Too bad, as is the nature of fate, it’s never that simple. Whatever the reason may have been, Taki and Mitsuha were brought together. Discovering what that reason is may be the most important thing either will ever do.

Under these unimaginable circumstances, how far would you go to be with the person most special to you?

Film Positives


Of all the reviews I’ve done, this one’s unique. Series, film, or otherwise, this one is different. More to the point, this one is special to me.

Taki
Kimi no Na wa is the first film I’ve talked about that I’ve seen in theaters in Japan. Not only that, I saw it in all Japanese. And I understood it, for the most part.

Mitsuha
Is this me bragging? Yes. But this was an important moment for me because it allowed a lot more freedom. This showed me I don’t have to wait for an English release anymore. Subbed, dubbed, or whatever.

I can now get excited for upcoming Japanese, particularly Japanese animated releases when they come out. I could’ve always done, but now I no longer feel left behind. I can witness a phenomenon as it’s happening.

And I assure you, this film has been a phenomenon.

Since its premiere on July 3, 2016, and later Japanese release on August 26, Kimi no Na wa has set records. As of this review, it is the fourth highest-grossing film in Japan. Behind only Frozen, Titanic, and the number one spot, Spirited Away. It has also become the highest-grossing anime film worldwide.

So, yeah this was a big deal and I’m happy to have been a part of it. Then, you may be asking yourself, why did I wait so long to do a review?

Simple answer. My Japanese skills may have been enough to give me a general understanding. Except, there were still details I missed. Could I have done the review anyway? Sure. Yet it would’ve risked me being unfair.

There was always a chance I could’ve misattributed something positive. Or worse, say something negative that was undeserved. I felt it necessary to wait for a subtitled version.

I got that on a plane. Too bad my mind wasn’t in the most analytical mood at the time.

Besides, I also wanted to buy the film the day it came out on home release. Which it did and I did only a few days before the posting of this review. See, this whole thing’s a lot more topical than you first thought.

And if you’re wondering, I could’ve talked about this film after I saw in theaters. My thoughts have not changed. If anything, they’ve only gotten stronger.

Kimi no Na wa is brilliant. I love this movie.

Animation

I don’t believe movie theaters will ever go away. They provide a unique viewing experience your average home television can’t provide. For me, it's still my preferred way to watch animation.

The big screen can turn even the most standard of artwork into something larger than life.

So, imagine what it can do with something like Kimi no Na wa. This film is gorgeous. And it knows it too.

From the character designs to the backgrounds, there was nothing about this one that was weak. Everything was crisp. Everything was well detailed. Even casual conversations were a treat for the eyes.

Kimi no Na wa did a fantastic job of capturing the beauty of the Japanese countryside. I can attest to this. The film portrayed a quiet, peaceful community. The atmosphere was relaxed and close knit. It’s a wonderful place to unwind. Yet I wouldn’t call it a hot bed for excitement. It's understandable why a teenager would want to escape such a place.

Then there was Tokyo and the metropolis has never looked better. I lived there for two years and even I wanted to visit it. Hell, I saw this movie in Tokyo and I felt mystified. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of beautiful places in the city. Shinjuku Station, which can be seen in the film, is not one of them. But this animation made even Shinjuku, the dirt hole that it is, look stunning.

Again, this was only the movie progressing along. When the film wanted to, there were scenes that were simply unfair. Kimi no Na wa had several moments that are the definition of breathtaking.

Also horrifying given the context of what was going on.

I don’t want to say much more than that. But you’ll know what I’m talking about when you get to these instances. They’ll be the times when you’ll be in absolute terror yet cannot look away from the screen.

And then there’s the soundtrack. My God. The music was every bit as impactful as the animation. Making the combined force of both a spectacle to say the least.

Story

I need to be honest. The idea of the two main characters switching bodies was an initial turn off for me. It was a premise that didn’t have my attention. The animation I saw in the trailers was enough to keep the film on my radar. Yet the overwhelming acclaim I had been hearing got me into the theater.

I’m so glad I did.

Kimi no Na wa’s story is the leading factor as to why this was one of the best films of 2016 for me.

The pacing was spot on. The escalation was perfect. The transitions from emotion to emotion was seamless. And trust me, this film hit some heavy emotions. Both lighthearted and intense.

I can’t place a section of the movie that I would label as the low point. Each act added something to the story. Each was fun and interesting in their own ways. That said, I can tell which part was my favorite. Keeping in mind the whole thing was outstanding.

The ending was great since it was a culmination of everything that happened up to that point. A close second scene was the one at the top of the shrine.

Yes, I’m being vague. I don’t want to spoil these moments.

The filmmakers behind Kimi no Na wa had a vision. You could see it happening on the screen. They put in a ton of effort to make something special.

Storytelling is a passion. It’s always wonderful to see that passion radiate from the final product.

The Actors

I don’t do this enough. Yet while I was thinking of what I would say for this review, this was a must. Both Ryunosuke Kamiki and Mone Kamishiraishi gave stellar performances.

Sure, they did fine when they were playing their characters. Kamiki as Taki and Kamishiraishi as Mitsuha. Yet they killed it when their characters switched bodies. Whenever Taki was Mitsuha and Mitsuha was Taki, the two actors sold it.

It was never a mystery when a switch took place. The movie never had to make it clear with a transition or a cut. The actor’s portrayals did the job. Kamiki was more than believable as a cute teenage girl. Kamishiraishi nailed the mannerism of a hotheaded teenage boy.

Accepting the film’s premise as fact would’ve been fine. This would’ve still been a good movie. Yet Kamiki and Kamishiraishi elevated everything. They made the funny moments that much funnier. They made the sweet moments that much sweeter. They made the intense moments that much more intense.

These two actors did what I imagine all actors strive to do. They didn’t give life to their characters. They created people. There wasn’t a voice on a screen. No, that was Taki Tachibana. That was Mitsuha Miyamizu.

I don’t deny the fact I give a lot of emphasis to story and animation in my reviews. I did as such in this review. Yet there was no way I wasn’t going to give recognition to these two unforgettable performances.


Film Negatives


Do I actually have something to say here? Not really, but yes at the same time. Anything I’m about to mention are things I noticed. Except they don’t bother me.

For starters, do we get an answer about why Taki and Mitsuha switch bodies? Kind of. This was something I knew I needed to see in English. The film focused more on why this was happening. Less on why it was happening to these characters. Though an explanation exists, sort of, blink and you’ll miss. Yet while I know it, I wish I didn’t.

I was okay with accepting this event just happening between Taki and Mitsuha. These two were fated to meet and that played more into what the film was trying to get across. That’s where it should’ve ended.

Another “issue” had to do with the nature of the story. At the beginning, this was Taki and Mitsuha’s journey. That remained the same throughout the film. Except knowing where the story went meant one of these two characters needed to take priority.

I’ll give the movie this. It did a good job at keeping the balance as fair as possible. Yet Taki was a larger driving force. Only that was due to circumstances. Had things been different Mitsuha could’ve played the role. That would’ve then left Taki with the shorter end. The story was such a way that there was no way to get out of this. And again, Kimi no Na wa did the best it could.

That said, it was Taki’s character group who had more development. Despite everyone getting an equal introduction. Mitsuha’s group felt more like an afterthought. That hurts to say because that’s not quite right. Yet I don’t have a kinder way to phrase it.

One last thing. This movie did rely on astronomical odds. Hoping to find someone in Tokyo even though you may know a person’s route can be done. It’s a city of 9.3 million people, but yeah it can be done. I don’t know why I’m nitpicking this since it led to one of the best moments of the film.

The flaws of Kimi no Na wa are like specs of dirt on a diamond. Brush them aside and you’re left with something worth holding on to.


Final Thoughts


I fell in love with this one. How could I not?

The animation is unbelievable. The story is solid and fun. The acting is unforgettable. This was a perfect storm of greatness. Here was a film that captivated the world and it’s easy to see why.

For myself, this movie opened the door for me to experience Japanese animation in a new way. Does that have anything to do with the film itself? No, it doesn’t. Although, this was one hell of an introduction.

If you’re still wondering what makes this one so special, stop. Go watch it. Kimi no Na wa is an absolute must.

               Google+                        Facebook                         Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment