Reviews, Top Tens, and more! Posts every Monday and Friday at 8:00 AM PST. Follow me on my social medias for updates and other random nonsense.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Anime Hajime Review: Hashiri Tsuzukete Yokattatte

***Warning, the following may contain spoilers for Hashiri Tsuzukete Yokattatte. Reader discretion is advised.***

Series Synopsis


While attending an anime event, Minato Suyama (voiced by Jun Fukuyama) is struck with awe when he becomes captivated by the performance of several talented voice actors. That illuminating experience drove Minato to enroll in Suidoubashi Animation Academy.

With an inherent talent for vocal work, Minato still finds it difficult to really improve his craft; he struggles to truly portray the characters he plays. Trapped in a deep slump, Minato’s drive is once again awoken when he hears the beautiful voice of Chikako Oomori (voiced by Iori Noguchi).

To Minato’s ears, Chikako has all the charisma and skill he sorely lacks. However, Chikako is far less confident in her abilities.

These two soon form a supportive relationship where both Minato and Chikako help one another unlock their respective potentials. Even when facing so much uncertainty, this pair knows they can rely on each other to break through the toughest of barriers.

Series Positives


This is going to be quick.

In the post right before this one, Senran Kagura 2, I said I give priority to sequels to series I have already reviewed. Adding on to that, I also highlight anime which catch my own personal interest, and often those are the same shows generating a lot of buzz.

Then there are examples such as Hashiri Tsuzukete Yokattatte (HTY) which are total shots in the dark.

Sitting at a grand runtime of one-hour, if I did end up wasting my efforts on HTY, there would have been no great loss. Considering that initial mindset, I do feel there was an hour of my life which may have been better spent elsewhere, but I regret nothing.

HTY wasn’t bad. Or, more to the point, it was completely passable – a double-edged sword sentiment. This series didn’t burn any bridges, and yet, it left zero impact. I’m not sure what would surprise me more, finding someone who hated this show or discovering someone who even knows what the hell I’m talking about.

On the whole, HTY’s most significant accomplishment was its pleasant visuals. This was not a masterpiece of animation, but it was still very pretty to look at all the same. A feat made more impressive by the fact this story took place in a rather mundane setting. There was no fantasy, high adventure, or typical anime wackiness.
HYT was as simple as they come.

But do you know what? Simple is alright. I can get behind simple. “Memorable,” on the other hand, is a far separate category this series came nowhere close to touching.

Ask me a day after this review goes live and I guarantee I will not remember anything about HYT.

Series Negatives


I honestly believe HYT’s short runtime was its heaviest crutch.  

There was a story to this series. I know because I saw one. I may have seen the bare minimum of one, but it was there nonetheless. HYT could have probably benefited from being a full-length anime.

After all, there was a cast of characters with defined goals and who weren’t annoying. This series had a firm direction in mind, and it never strayed down pointless avenues. There was also a defined beginning, middle, and end.

The problem was, blink and you will miss the entire middle.

HYT, as it stands, didn’t have much to its name. What it did do, though, and what it can do for anyone thinking about watching it, this series serves a specific purpose.

To give an analogy: When I was living in the Tokyo/Kanagawa area of Japan, I knew of a small park near Kawasaki Station. Granted, by “park” I mean a tiny grove of glorified hedges crammed between a couple of buildings sitting right next to the train tracks which hosted the occasional drunk salaryman after a hard days work.

Trust me, this was not what you would call a happening spot.

However, the trees at this park were Sakura (cherry blossom) trees. Therefore, every year for one week there was a brilliant splash of beautiful pink peddles floating through the air.

Even though I didn’t bother with this spot at any other time, during sakura season, I made sure to spend at least one quick lunch break to admire the surroundings – emphasis on the word “quick.” I never stayed long and I never even dreamed of inviting friends over for a picnic because, to tell you the truth, the place had a bit of a smell to it as well.

Be all that as it may have been, for what I needed it for – a neat spot for a short break – the park did its jobs well enough. In a nutshell, that was HYT.

If you are searching for an anime to hold your attention for several hours or you want to watch a series you could, in theory, watch for several hours, this is not it. Now, if you’re lying in bed and want something comforting to fall asleep to, boom, HYT.


Final Thoughts


You could do way worse, and from the 2018 fall season, there is way worse. To be fair, this happened to be the most forgettable of the season’s series I have seen thus far. But at least I didn’t hate everything after having watched it.

I’m not trying to be a downer because this show doesn’t deserve that kind of negativity. It had good visuals, decent voice talent, and a complete, easy to follow story.  

On that basis alone, I ask you: Why not just see for yourself?

Hashiri Tsuzukete Yokattatte is totally worth checking out if you have the time.

But these are just my thoughts. What are yours? Have you seen this show? What would be your advice concerning Hashiri Tsuzukete Yokattatte? Leave a comment down below because I would love to hear what you have to say.

And if you liked what you read, be sure to follow me on my social media sites so that you never miss a post or update. Also, please share this review across the internet to help add to the discussion.

I’m LofZOdyssey, and I’ll see you next time. 

               Google+                        Facebook                         Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment